Sutter County Sheriff's Office
Sutter County Sheriff's Department Halloween Safety Tips
Tuesday, October 24, 2006 12:01 AM
Sutter County Sheriff’s Department is planning to be out in full force for Halloween night. The following are some of the safety tips we recommend.
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Consider adding reflective tape to costumes.
- A mask can limit or block eyesight. Consider non-toxic and hypoallergenic makeup.
- When shopping for costumes purchase only those with a label indicating they are flame resistant.
- Think twice before using simulated knives, guns or swords. If such props must be used, be certain they do not appear authentic and are soft and flexible to prevent injury.
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- Openly discuss appropriate and inappropriate behavior at Halloween time.
- Take extra effort to eliminate tripping hazards on your porch and walkway.
- Keep Jack O’Lanterns away from areas where children will be standing or walking.
- Use your flashlight so you can see and others can see you.
- Stay in a group.
- Only trick-or-treat in well known neighborhoods at homes that have a porch light on.
- Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk. If no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Never cut across yards or use alleys.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or car for a treat.
- Obey all traffic and pedestrian laws.
- Always walk, never run across a street. Cross only at corners.
- Remove any mask or item that will limit eyesight before crossing a street, driveway or alley.
- Don’t assume the right of way. Motorists may have trouble seeing Trick-or-Treaters.
- Never consume unwrapped food items or open beverages that may be offered.
- No treats are to be eaten until they are thoroughly checked by an Adult at home.
- Law Enforcement authorities should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
Contact Person and Telephone Number:
Undersheriff J. Paul Parker 530-822-7307View PDF version of this press release
Copyright © 2001-2014 Sutter County, California
Printed on: 12/22/2014