Sutter County Sheriff's Office
Identity Theft Prevention Tips
- Don't carry your social security card with you.
- Be careful with receipts, take them with you. Don't throw them in public receptacles.
- Use the post office instead of leaving mail in your mailbox.
- Get a locking mailbox.
- Shred anything with your name, address, date of birth, SSN or any credit solicitations.
- Carefully review all statements, including bank, telephone, cable, cellular phone etc.
- Request your credit report quarterly.
- If you don't receive your mail for more than a couple days, check with the post office to see if there has been a change of address.
- If statements are late, call creditors to see if a change of address has been filed.
- Do not have your driver's license number or social security number printed on your checks.
- Do not release personal information over the phone or Internet.
- Order your social security benefits and earnings statement yearly.
- Remove your name from Direct Marketing Association mailing and telephone lists.
- Consider not listing your phone number.
- Consider not using a professional qualification (Dr., Ph.D., and Atty. Etc.) in the phone book.
- Do not carry PIN or passwords with you.
- Never have new checks mailed to you; pick them up from the bank.
Copyright © 2001-2014 Sutter County, California
Printed on: 8/28/2014